Hyderabad student`s family says he is innocent
Hyderabad: The family of a city student who was arrested by the Bangalore police Friday in an alleged terror plot has claimed that he is innocent.
Kausar Begum, mother of Mohammed Ubaidru Rehman, said he had no links with any terror outfit or anybody from Bangalore.
She told reporters that the police were trying to implicate him in a false case as the family is related to Moulana Naseeruddin, a cleric who was arrested by Gujarat police in connection with the murder of former Gujarat home minister Haren Pandya.
Moulana Naseeruddin spent six years in a Gujarat jail and was acquitted.
The Bangalore police arrested 26-year-old Ubaidur Rehman, a BCom student in a city college, from Gulshan-e-Iqbal Colony in Chandrayangutta area of the old city.
Rehman was taken to Bangalore, where he is likely to be produced before the court Saturday.
The undergraduate student was arrested on charges of having links with 11 terror suspects arrested by Karnataka Police from Bangalore and Hubli.
The youth were arrested on charges of having links with banned outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) and plotting terror attacks in Karnataka.
The Bangalore police with the help of state counterintelligence is also questioning a couple of others in Hyderabad.
Kausar, who has seven sons, including Rehman, and a daughter, said that on the day he was arrested, her son had gone out of the house for some work, but did not return.
The family was informed of the arrest late Friday. Police did not disclose the charges under which he was arrested.
Kausar, whose husband died four years ago, said her son suffered from asthma and required an inhaler.
"He was never involved in any illegal activity and has no links whatsoever with any outfit," she said, demanding her son`s immediate release.
Condemning the arrest Moulana Naseeruddin said that if police had proof against Rehman, a warrant could have been issued for his arrest, instead of just picking him up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'