Kiran Reddy to decide on new party Thursday
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy will take a final decision on Thursday evening on floating a new political party.
A day after the Election Commission announced the poll schedule, Kiran Reddy met his supporters here to take a final call on his plans. According to leaders close to him, an announcement is likely in the evening.
After resigning as the chief minister and also from the Congress party last month to protest bifurcation of the state, Kiran Reddy held series of meetings with his loyalists to chalk out plans to form a new party.
Kiran has the support of six MPs who were expelled from the Congress party last month, and also some of his former state cabinet colleagues from Seemandhra.
The former chief minister believes that a new party would get people`s support in Seemandhra as they feel the Congress, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and YSR Congress all joined hands to split the state.
Earlier, there were speculations that Kiran Reddy dropped the plans to form a new party on the platform of united Andhra Pradesh as not many former ministers and legislators were ready to sail with him. Three former ministers who were considered his supporters have already joined the TDP.
Kiran Reddy, the last chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, resigned Feb 19 to protest passage of the bill in Parliament for formation of a separate Telangana state.
He had defied the Congress over its decision to bifurcate the state and accused the party of resorting to unconstitutional and undemocratic measures to divide Telugu-speaking people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?