Lankan fishermen held for entering Indian waters
Kakinada: Six Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested by Marine police here for illegally fishing in Indian waters off Nizampatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh`s East Godavari district, police said on Sunday.
The Coast Guard personnel first spotted a Sri Lankan boat with six fishermen on board during routine surveillance in Bay of Bengal on Friday.
After verification, they seized the boat and handed it over to Kakinada Marine police, along with the apprehended fishermen and over 500 kg of tuna last evening, a Marine police official said.
The Sri Lankan fishermen were booked under various sections of the Maritime Zones of India Act and were produced before a court for judicial remand, the official said, adding that the fishermen had intentionally entered Indian waters and "illegally" carried out fishing activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far