Left parties at loggerheads in AP over bypolls
Hyderabad: Fraternal cousins CPI and CPI(M) are engaged in a war of words in Andhra Pradesh over the bypolls to 18 Assembly and one Lok Sabha seat scheduled to be held in June this year.
The exchange of words has turned bitter with the CPI state secretary K Narayana suspecting a `secret agenda` of the CPI (M) over its stance in the bye-elections.
Observing that the bypolls did not have much significance, the CPI decided not to field the nominees, but instead support the TDP so as to effectively fight the ruling Congress and the YSR Congress of Kadapa MP YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, who is facing allegations of corruption.
Both, the CPI as well as the CPI(M) have been allies of the TDP for a long in Andhra Pradesh.
Fielding the Left candidates would only split the anti-government votes and help the Congress or YSR Congress, CPI state secretary K Narayana said.
The CPI (M), however, said that it is in favour of fielding its own candidates, wherever it had some strength.
Citing an example of CPI(M) allegedly supporting a YSR Congress nominee in an MLC election in Chittoor district some time ago, Narayana said he had remarked at a workers` meeting that the Marxist party appeared to have had a `secret agenda`.
The political observers feel the secret agenda would be that the CPI(M) would like to sail with YSRC eventually.
However, taking exceptions to Narayana`s comments, CPI(M) state secretary B V Raghavulu asked his CPI counterpart to come clear on his charges.
Raghavulu said the CPI(M) does not need to have any secret agenda, as it had not done anything secretly. The party only supported an independent candidate in Chittoor election, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information