Obtain report on drought in Andhra Pradesh: TDP to Centre
Hyderabad: Opposition Telugu Desam Party on Monday requested the Centre to obtain a report from the Andhra Pradesh Government on the prevailing drought situation in the state so that required relief could be extended to aggrieved farmers.
In a letter to Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, TDP President N Chandrababu Naidu said 380 out of 1,128 mandals (tehsils) in the state were facing drought conditions due to shortfall of rain up to 50 per cent. Another 15 mandals had a rain deficit of over 60 per cent this monsoon.
He said irrigation projects and reservoirs did not receive sufficient water inflows due to deficient rainfall. Consequently, the crop-bearing area fell drastically.
"Paddy has been cultivated in 53 lakh acres as against the normal area of 66 lakh acres this kharif season, while cropped area under pulses was only 15 lakh acres (21 lakh acres normal). Groundnut crop was sown in 25 lakh acres (32 lakh acres normal) and oil seeds in 33 lakh acres (44 lakh acres) this season due to adverse seasonal conditions."
"The farming community has been badly affected and the state and the Central Governments should come to their the farmers` rescue immediately," the Leader of Opposition said.
The interest subvention announced for farmers in other drought-hit regions of the country should be extended to AP farmers as well along with additional interest subsidy of three per cent, the former Chief Minister demanded.
The Centre has so far not extended any relief to AP farmers as the State Government did not send a report on drought conditions, Naidu maintained.
"I request you to advise the State Government to send the proposals and declare drought in these mandals so that immediate relief can be extended to affected farmers. I also request you to support the farmers by allotting sufficient quantities of fertilisers to AP," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad