Para-military forces to be deployed for AP bypolls
Rajahmundry: Several companies of para-military forces along with local police would be deployed to ensure peaceful bye-elections in Andhra Pradesh on June 12, state DGP V Dinesh Reddy said.
The elections are scheduled for 18 Assembly and one Lok Sabha seat.
As many as 171 companies of para-military forces from Andhra Pradesh, 15 companies each from Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamilnadu would be deployed for the bypolls, in addition to local police, the Director General of Police told reporters here yesterday.
All the main ways leading to constituencies and the districts concerned were sealed to check the flow of money and liquor to influence voters. Besides, Rs 3 crore in West Godavari, Rs 2 crore in Guntur and Rs 1.50 crore in East Godavari district were so far seized in connection with the elections, Reddy said.
All the constituencies would be supervised by district superintendent of police for free and fair poll and no campaign would be allowed after 5pm on June 10, he said.
On the day of polls, special striking forces would be deployed to meet any eventuality. A round-the-clock election control room would be established to monitor the poll process and video monitoring would also be arranged. Special flying squads would move to control the flow of liquor, the DGP added.
State police was ready to meet any eventuality in conducting the bye-elections fairly and peacefully and to attend any immediate requirement in elections, he maintained.
He later reviewed election arrangements in Guntur, East Godavari and West Godavari districts during a meeting with senior police officials from these districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof