Poor utilisation of backward area fund upsets Andhra CM
Hyderabad: Despite liberal grants from the
union government, Andhra Pradesh has failed to spend money on
rural development works under the Backward Regions Grant Fund
The state was also not able to fully utilise funds
granted under the 12th Finance Commission with the unspent
balance touching Rs 301.49 crore between 2005-06 and 2009-10
Chief Minister K Rosaiah was left red-faced when it
came to light during a high-level review meeting here today
that more than Rs 230.61 crore out of the Rs 350 crore
sanctioned to the state under the BRGF remained unspent in the
2009-10 financial year.
"We are not able to spend the BRGF properly. Our laxity
is very clear. The works to be taken up under the scheme are
varied. When funds are available, why can`t we spend them on
useful works? We have to put the works on fast track and make
use of the last rupee before March 31,” a press release from
the Chief Minister’s Office quoted Rosaiah as saying.
The Chief Minister also expressed displeasure over the
non-utilisation of the 12th Finance Commission grants.
In 2008-09 too, the state could spend only 86.01 per cent
of the total grant under BRGF while in 2007-08 97.36 per cent
of funds were utilised.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents