Poor utilisation of backward area fund upsets Andhra CM
Hyderabad: Despite liberal grants from the
union government, Andhra Pradesh has failed to spend money on
rural development works under the Backward Regions Grant Fund
The state was also not able to fully utilise funds
granted under the 12th Finance Commission with the unspent
balance touching Rs 301.49 crore between 2005-06 and 2009-10
Chief Minister K Rosaiah was left red-faced when it
came to light during a high-level review meeting here today
that more than Rs 230.61 crore out of the Rs 350 crore
sanctioned to the state under the BRGF remained unspent in the
2009-10 financial year.
"We are not able to spend the BRGF properly. Our laxity
is very clear. The works to be taken up under the scheme are
varied. When funds are available, why can`t we spend them on
useful works? We have to put the works on fast track and make
use of the last rupee before March 31,” a press release from
the Chief Minister’s Office quoted Rosaiah as saying.
The Chief Minister also expressed displeasure over the
non-utilisation of the 12th Finance Commission grants.
In 2008-09 too, the state could spend only 86.01 per cent
of the total grant under BRGF while in 2007-08 97.36 per cent
of funds were utilised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!