Prez rule in Andhra Pradesh, assent to Telangana Bill
New Delhi: The Bill to carve out Telangana on Saturday received the assent of President Pranab Mukherjee who also signed the proclamation to impose central rule in Andhra Pradesh.
The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill 2014, which got Parliament`s approval on February 20 despite strong opposition from Seemandhra leaders, got the Presidential assent, paving the way for creation of the country`s 29th state by splitting Andhra Pradesh.
There will be 13 districts in residuary Andhra Pradesh while Telangana will have 10 districts, including the Hyderabad city.
In a bid to address concerns of the Seemandhra region, government had already announced grant of Special Category Status including tax incentives to the residuary state as part of a six-point development package for AP`s two successor states.
The President also signed the proclamation to impose President`s rule in Andhra Pradesh following the Union Cabinet`s recommendation yesterday.
Mukherjee gave his nod to place under suspended animation the Andhra Pradesh Assembly whose term is slated to end on June two.
The decision to impose the President`s Rule in Andhra Pradesh was necessitated by N Kiran Kumar Reddy`s resignation as the Chief Minister on February 19 as he was opposed to division of the state to carve out Telangana.
Governor ESL Narasimhan had recommended central rule in the state after the resignation.
The bill to create Telangana by splitting Andhra Pradesh was passed by Parliament on February 20 in the just-concluded Winter Session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it