Reservation for Muslims: APCC to seek Sonia`s intervention
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress Saturday
said it is committed to reservation to Muslims in the state
and would seek party supremo Sonia Gandhi`s intervention in
The party which convened a meeting here today to discuss
the issue decided to even seek amendment to the Constitution
"We will request Sonia Gandhi with folded hands to make
way to implement reservations for Muslims in the state," APCC
Chief D Srinivas said adding: "We will go for an amendment to
the Constitution through Parliament if necessary".
The Andhra Pradesh high Court on February 8 quashed the
State Government Act 26 of 2007 that provided 4 per cent
reservation to 15 groups of Muslims in education and in
Government jobs in the State. The Court opined that the Act
had the potential to encourage religious conversions.
The Government moved the Supreme Court challenging the
High Court verdict where the case will come up for hearing on
March 22. Chief Minister K Rosaiah personally convinced senior
Supreme Court counsel Parasharan to take up the case.
The government in its affidavit said, "Like backward
Hindus, socially and economically backward Muslims should also
get reservation. This reservation is not religion specific.
Chief Minister K Rosaiah said Congress is committed to
the welfare of the Muslims who according to him have always
been with the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid