Reservation for Muslims: APCC to seek Sonia`s intervention
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress Saturday
said it is committed to reservation to Muslims in the state
and would seek party supremo Sonia Gandhi`s intervention in
The party which convened a meeting here today to discuss
the issue decided to even seek amendment to the Constitution
"We will request Sonia Gandhi with folded hands to make
way to implement reservations for Muslims in the state," APCC
Chief D Srinivas said adding: "We will go for an amendment to
the Constitution through Parliament if necessary".
The Andhra Pradesh high Court on February 8 quashed the
State Government Act 26 of 2007 that provided 4 per cent
reservation to 15 groups of Muslims in education and in
Government jobs in the State. The Court opined that the Act
had the potential to encourage religious conversions.
The Government moved the Supreme Court challenging the
High Court verdict where the case will come up for hearing on
March 22. Chief Minister K Rosaiah personally convinced senior
Supreme Court counsel Parasharan to take up the case.
The government in its affidavit said, "Like backward
Hindus, socially and economically backward Muslims should also
get reservation. This reservation is not religion specific.
Chief Minister K Rosaiah said Congress is committed to
the welfare of the Muslims who according to him have always
been with the party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living