Sarpanch killed over political rivalry in Nalgonda
Hyderabad: Unidentified assailants today attacked and killed a village sarpanch in Andhra Pradesh`s Nalgonda district apparently over some political rivalry, police said.
J Pulender Reddy, a local CPI(M) leader and sarpanch of Narasimhulugudem village under Mungala mandal in Nalgonda, was attacked with axes and other sharp weapons at around 9.30 AM while he was riding pillion on a two-wheeler under Kodad town police station limits, they said.
"A group of 5-6 assailants followed Reddy in a car and waylaid him near Kodad bypass road. They immediately started attacking him with sharp weapons injuring him seriously before fleeing," an investigation officer told PTI over phone.
Reddy was rushed to a nearby hospital where he died during treatment, the IO said.
A case of murder has been registered in connection with the incident and a hunt launched to nab the assailants.
Reddy seems to have been attacked by his political rivals, the police official said, based on preliminary investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Modi, Putin vow to take forward India-Russia ties
- Euro 2016: Spain prepared for clash against 'powerful' Italy, says Iniesta
- READ: How Mahendra Singh Dhoni 'bowled over' this Pakistani model with his calmness
- People want to take their country back, Trump says in Scotland after Brexit vote
- Sanders says he will vote for Clinton in November election