Students hold demonstration for united Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Students from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions on Friday staged a protest here in support of united Andhra Pradesh.
Samaikyandhra Students Joint Action Committee organised the protest near Public Garden.
Students from 14 universities from Andhra and Rayalaseema took part in the demonstration, the organisers said.
Over two dozen members of the committee were taken into custody during the protest, police said.
The student leaders said they submitted a memorandum to Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma seeking permission for a public meeting on January 21.
Police prevented the committee members from continuing the protest and took them into preventive custody even as they raised slogans. At least 25 protesters were taken into custody and later released, a senior police officer said.
Asked about nod for the meeting, the officer said the matter was under consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok