Students hold demonstration for united Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Students from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions on Friday staged a protest here in support of united Andhra Pradesh.
Samaikyandhra Students Joint Action Committee organised the protest near Public Garden.
Students from 14 universities from Andhra and Rayalaseema took part in the demonstration, the organisers said.
Over two dozen members of the committee were taken into custody during the protest, police said.
The student leaders said they submitted a memorandum to Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma seeking permission for a public meeting on January 21.
Police prevented the committee members from continuing the protest and took them into preventive custody even as they raised slogans. At least 25 protesters were taken into custody and later released, a senior police officer said.
Asked about nod for the meeting, the officer said the matter was under consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars