Systematic attempt to weaken Left parties: Yechury
Hyderabad: CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury
on Sunday alleged there was a systematic attempt to "demobilise"
Left cadres in West Bengal in order to weaken the party in the
"We lost 388 of our comrades in the run-up to the
assembly elections in West Bengal. After the elections, 12
people were killed. This is an attempt to demobilise our
cadres," he told reporters here today after releasing a
booklet on the alleged violence against Left workers in West
Similar violence against the Left was witnessed in the
1970s, which ultimately led to the imposition of Emergency in
the country, he said.
"The violence is perpetrated by ruling parties and
imperialistic forces, who are anti-Left. The idea is that if
Left is weakened in West Bengal, it can be weakened all over
the country. This is not just an attack on us. This is an
assault on the democratic foundations of the country. Hence,
these attacks must be put to an end," the CPI(M) Politburo
Yechury released another book on Karl Marx and said that
the ideas of Marx are being read now to address the problems
relating to the global economic crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital