TDP demands probe in contract for high-security number plates
Hyderabad: TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu on Friday demanded the Andhra Pradesh government to order a probe into the alleged corruption in awarding high-security number plates contract and stop the installation process till the investigation is over.
In a letter to Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Chandrababu also said that the high-security number plates, proposed to be installed in a phased manner by 2015, would impose an additional financial burden of Rs 608 crore on the vehicle-users in the state.
"There are allegations of corruption and irregularities in finalising the agencies for supply of high-security number plates. The comments of the then Managing Director of AP State Road Transport Corporation and also a note by the then Chief Secretary of the state were not taken into cognisance before awarding the contract to a controversial consortium led by Utsav Safety Systems and Link Point Infrastructure," he wrote in the letter.
While the same consortium supplied high-security number plates for Rs 68.91 in New Delhi and Rs 60.60 in Haryana, it would be charging Rs 208 (excluding taxes) for two-wheeler in Andhra Pradesh. Similarly high rates would be charged for other vehicles as well, the Telugu Desam Party chief said.
"Thus, the extra financial burden on vehicle-users will be to the order of Rs 608 crore. It is a clear case of misuse of authority with ulterior motives and corruption."
The entire transaction be probed by Anti-Corruption Bureau or Vigilance and Enforcement Department, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS