Teacher held for marrying 14-year-old girl
Dharmapuri: A 37-year-old school teacher was today arrested here on the charge of marrying a minor girl, police said.
Police said N Arumugam of Mulluvadi, 32 km from here, was already married and had married the 14-year-old girl, a relative`s grand-daughter at Arakkasanahalli, his native village, in November last.
He used to conduct private tuition for the girl, studying in the tenth standard, and reportedly expressed his desire to marry the girl to his relative, a 60-year-old woman, police said.
Police registered a case under provisions of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 and arrested Arumugam who has been lodged in the Salem central jail after being produced before the Judicial Magistrate Court and remanded in judicial custody.
The 60-year-old woman is absconding. The minor girl, who was also produced in the court, has been lodged in a government home, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days
- Jason Day joined by Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson to start PGA Championship