Teacher held for marrying 14-year-old girl
Dharmapuri: A 37-year-old school teacher was today arrested here on the charge of marrying a minor girl, police said.
Police said N Arumugam of Mulluvadi, 32 km from here, was already married and had married the 14-year-old girl, a relative`s grand-daughter at Arakkasanahalli, his native village, in November last.
He used to conduct private tuition for the girl, studying in the tenth standard, and reportedly expressed his desire to marry the girl to his relative, a 60-year-old woman, police said.
Police registered a case under provisions of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 and arrested Arumugam who has been lodged in the Salem central jail after being produced before the Judicial Magistrate Court and remanded in judicial custody.
The 60-year-old woman is absconding. The minor girl, who was also produced in the court, has been lodged in a government home, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured