Teacher held for marrying 14-year-old girl
Dharmapuri: A 37-year-old school teacher was today arrested here on the charge of marrying a minor girl, police said.
Police said N Arumugam of Mulluvadi, 32 km from here, was already married and had married the 14-year-old girl, a relative`s grand-daughter at Arakkasanahalli, his native village, in November last.
He used to conduct private tuition for the girl, studying in the tenth standard, and reportedly expressed his desire to marry the girl to his relative, a 60-year-old woman, police said.
Police registered a case under provisions of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 and arrested Arumugam who has been lodged in the Salem central jail after being produced before the Judicial Magistrate Court and remanded in judicial custody.
The 60-year-old woman is absconding. The minor girl, who was also produced in the court, has been lodged in a government home, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!
- Pakistan to host West Indies for pink ball Test in UAE