Visakhapatnam ZP Vice-Chairman shot dead by Naxals
Hyderabad: Maoists shot dead the
Visakhapatnam Zilla Parishad Vice-Chairman in his native
village this evening, police said.
U Somalingam was attacked by three ultras at
Chowdapalli village of Visakhapatnam district at around 7 pm,
Somalingam, who was on the hit-list of Naxals, was
earlier warned by police that the extremists wanted to target
him, a senior police officer said over phone.
"The assailants fired from point-blank range, killing
him on the spot. They later managed to escape," the officer
said, adding a hunt has been launched to nab the extremists.
Earlier in the day, six tribals were injured when
Maoists opened fire on them in R V Puram forest area in
Vishakapatnam district on the Andhra-Orrisa border.
The tribals were shifted to KGM Hospital at
Visakhapatnam city, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics