250 families affected by flash floods in Cachar
Karimganj (Assam): Around 250 families have been severely affected in the recent flash floods in Madhura cluster of villages in Udharbond of Assam`s Cachar district, official sources said on Tuesday.
The flash floods caused by Madhura river, originating from the hills of the neighbouring Dima Hasao district, completely devastated the village with 22 families losing their homes and belongings.
Disaster struck the villagers, mostly daily wage earners, last Saturday following incessant rainfall and they rushed for safety to nearby highlands but they could not save their belongings.
Assam Sports and Excise Minister Ajit Singh under whose Udharbond constituency the area falls has directed the authorities to provide relief to the affected villagers.
A prominent NGO in the area, Paradise Milan Society, has also distributed food stuff, kitchen utensils, mosquito nets, rice and other necessary materials to the affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...