250 families affected by flash floods in Cachar
Karimganj (Assam): Around 250 families have been severely affected in the recent flash floods in Madhura cluster of villages in Udharbond of Assam`s Cachar district, official sources said on Tuesday.
The flash floods caused by Madhura river, originating from the hills of the neighbouring Dima Hasao district, completely devastated the village with 22 families losing their homes and belongings.
Disaster struck the villagers, mostly daily wage earners, last Saturday following incessant rainfall and they rushed for safety to nearby highlands but they could not save their belongings.
Assam Sports and Excise Minister Ajit Singh under whose Udharbond constituency the area falls has directed the authorities to provide relief to the affected villagers.
A prominent NGO in the area, Paradise Milan Society, has also distributed food stuff, kitchen utensils, mosquito nets, rice and other necessary materials to the affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress