AGP demands action against `secret killings`
Guwahati: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Wednesday demanded action on the Justice K N Saikia commission report on the alleged `secret killings` which shook the state between 1998 and 2001.
"The Congress government has taken no action on the report of the judicial commission headed by former Supreme Court Justice Saikia. We demand that perpetrators responsible for the killings be made to face the law," AGP General Secretary Ramendra Narayan Kalita told reporters.
He said the AGP government, which ruled Assam between 1996 and 2001, had formed a commission under Justice S Haque to investigate the killings when scores of people, including relatives of ULFA leaders, were killed by unidentified gunmen.
"However, after Tarun Gogoi came to power in 2001, three commissions were formed in succession. But no action has been taken," Kalita said.
"While the AGP government of that time took action and constituted the Haque commission to investigate the killings which took place during our regime, the Congress is only resorting to cheap politicking by playing blame-game instead of taking action to bring the culprits to book," he added.
The Saikia commission had been formed in 2005 and submitted its report in 2007. It had indicted the then Chief Minister and AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and said the killings were the outcome of a nexus between the police and the surrendered ULFA members.
"We also demand an independent enquiry on the numerous murders that have taken place in the last 11 years of the Tarun Gogoi government and also the Congress government of 1991-1996 headed by the late Hiteshwar Saikia," Kalita said, terming charges levelled against Mahanta as false.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate