Assam BJP to approach people on burning issue
Guwahati: BJP would go to the grassroots level to reach people on issues plaguing the state, including the problem of illegal migrants, the party`s new state president Sarbananda Sonowal said on Friday.
With the slogan `Amar Asom, Amar Mati and Amar Adhikar` (Our Assam, our land, our rights), BJP would make an attempt to create mass support among the people for the party`s movement against illegal migration from Bangladesh, Sonowal told reporters here.
"Due to weak policies and lack of political will of the Congress, 11 of Assam`s 27 districts are immigrant majority districts. The indigenous people have to be protected," the BJP national executive member said.
He claimed that the illegal Bangladeshi population in Assam was the highest in the country, recording a 71 per cent growth rate in the period between 1971 and 1991.
The BJP leader said the indigenous Assamese Muslims were the worst sufferers due to the increase in the immigrant population.
Sonowal accused the Congress of trying to create confusion among the people on the foreign national issue.
The ruling party was playing vote-bank politics. It had not completed fencing work in the 272 kms long Indo-Bangladesh border along Assam, he also alleged.
Sonowal also appealed to his former colleague and now All Assam Students Union (AASU) advisor Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya to join hands with the BJP in its movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day