Assam BJP to approach people on burning issue
Guwahati: BJP would go to the grassroots level to reach people on issues plaguing the state, including the problem of illegal migrants, the party`s new state president Sarbananda Sonowal said on Friday.
With the slogan `Amar Asom, Amar Mati and Amar Adhikar` (Our Assam, our land, our rights), BJP would make an attempt to create mass support among the people for the party`s movement against illegal migration from Bangladesh, Sonowal told reporters here.
"Due to weak policies and lack of political will of the Congress, 11 of Assam`s 27 districts are immigrant majority districts. The indigenous people have to be protected," the BJP national executive member said.
He claimed that the illegal Bangladeshi population in Assam was the highest in the country, recording a 71 per cent growth rate in the period between 1971 and 1991.
The BJP leader said the indigenous Assamese Muslims were the worst sufferers due to the increase in the immigrant population.
Sonowal accused the Congress of trying to create confusion among the people on the foreign national issue.
The ruling party was playing vote-bank politics. It had not completed fencing work in the 272 kms long Indo-Bangladesh border along Assam, he also alleged.
Sonowal also appealed to his former colleague and now All Assam Students Union (AASU) advisor Dr Samujjal Bhattacharya to join hands with the BJP in its movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed