Assam has 75 percent expired embankments
Guwahati: The life of nearly 75 per cent of the embankments in Assam which has a total length of 4,473.82 km has expired and currently these are breached at 14 places, the state Assembly was informed on Tuesday.
In a written reply to a query by AGP MLA Phani Bhusan Choudhury, state Water Resources Minister Rajib Lochan Pegu said "Assam has 423 embankments with a total length of 4,473.82 km. Out of these, 3,285.778 km have exhausted their lives."
The Minister also said at present embankments are left open at 14 different places after these were breached.
The embankments are breached in Cachar, Barpeta, Sonitpur and Nalbari districts.
The list of unrepaired embankments included the one that was breached over four years ago in May 2010 on Barak river in Cachar district.
Pegu said repair work of this embankment at Angarjur village was stalled due to `public obstruction`.
"The matter is now settled after district administration and locals reached an understanding. The work will resume after the monsoon," he added.
Eight embankments had breached in 2013 and the rest five this year.
"Of these 14 embankments, the repair of nine will start after the monsoon and work on the five breached this year will commence after funds are sanctioned. The estimates for repair of these five are being prepared," Pegu said.
The minister also informed the House that his department spent a total Rs 279.86 crore between 2001-02 and 2012-14 on various measures to protect the embankments from flood and erosion.
Besides, the Inter-ministerial Committee on Flood Management Programme recommended 16 schemes worth Rs 850.15 crore during the 12th plan, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY