Assam has 75 percent expired embankments
Guwahati: The life of nearly 75 per cent of the embankments in Assam which has a total length of 4,473.82 km has expired and currently these are breached at 14 places, the state Assembly was informed on Tuesday.
In a written reply to a query by AGP MLA Phani Bhusan Choudhury, state Water Resources Minister Rajib Lochan Pegu said "Assam has 423 embankments with a total length of 4,473.82 km. Out of these, 3,285.778 km have exhausted their lives."
The Minister also said at present embankments are left open at 14 different places after these were breached.
The embankments are breached in Cachar, Barpeta, Sonitpur and Nalbari districts.
The list of unrepaired embankments included the one that was breached over four years ago in May 2010 on Barak river in Cachar district.
Pegu said repair work of this embankment at Angarjur village was stalled due to `public obstruction`.
"The matter is now settled after district administration and locals reached an understanding. The work will resume after the monsoon," he added.
Eight embankments had breached in 2013 and the rest five this year.
"Of these 14 embankments, the repair of nine will start after the monsoon and work on the five breached this year will commence after funds are sanctioned. The estimates for repair of these five are being prepared," Pegu said.
The minister also informed the House that his department spent a total Rs 279.86 crore between 2001-02 and 2012-14 on various measures to protect the embankments from flood and erosion.
Besides, the Inter-ministerial Committee on Flood Management Programme recommended 16 schemes worth Rs 850.15 crore during the 12th plan, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi