Assam taking steps towards all-round development:
Guwahati: The state government has taken measures for all-round economic development of Assam and its multi-pronged strategy against militant groups and peace overtures have led to signing of an MoS with both factions of the Dima Hasao Daogah, Governor J B Patnaik said Monday.
Addressing the House on the opening day of its budget session here, Patnaik said the Gross State Domestic product was rising with a steady upward trend during the last few years with increase in revenue generation in the field of sales tax, excise and royalty on mineral resources.
Stating the financial turnaround of the state during the last few years was significant with its condition being "healthy and stable", he said, "our government has been able to create adequate fiscal space for undertaking many innovative schemes and projects for all round development of the state".
The per capita debt was Rs 9,355 as on March 31, 2012, being the fourth lowest in the country and lowest among the Special Category States, the Governor said.
With the government giving top most priority for economic uplift of small and marginal farmers, he said during 2012-13 the state is anticipated to achieve 7.5 per cent agricultural growth with the production of 55 lakh MT rice and 56 lakh MT food grains during the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed