Assam to formulate new land use policy
Guwahati: Assam will soon have a new land use policy, intended to bring about similarity in rules between rural and urban areas and also for promoting more agriculture and industry in a people-friendly manner, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Monday.
"Soon we will form a committee to look at the issue of land use in the state. The current policy is old and is not clear regarding some issues," Gogoi told reporters here.
He said the committee would look into all matters related to land use in the state and either recommend amendments to the Assam Land Revenue Regulation Act of 1886 or suggest formulation of an entirely new policy.
"We want to have a policy which will boost industry even while protecting the interest of the local people and landless segments. At the same time, we also want to boost agriculture productivity," Gogoi said.
"I welcome big industry if they offer equity and partnership to locals. I have talked to many industry players and asked them to offer locals a partnership in the development process," Gogoi said.
Gogoi said the current rules have certain flaws and this has allowed private residences and industries to come up in fertile agriculture land.
"I have also been informed that the Land Ceiling Act is applicable in rural areas of the state but not in urban areas like Guwahati. Such discrepancies have to be removed," Gogoi said.
Gogoi also strongly supported FDI in multi-brand retail, saying this would boost farm income and make products cheaper for consumers.
He, however, made it clear that the state government had not offered any help to US retail giant Walmart to purchase land in Guwahati and neither would it help it acquire land in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP