BJP leader flays land swap deal
Karimganj (Assam): The proposed land swap between India and Bangladesh was on Sunday flayed by BJP all-India vice-president and state in-charge SS Ahluwalia.
Only because of a pact between Indira Gandhi and Mujibur Rahman, and now between Manmohan Singh and Begum Sheikh Hasina, the land swap deal cannot be supported, he said.
"BJP will oppose any transfer tooth and nail," he said, adding it was in violation of the Constitution.
To protest against the deal, he hoisted the national flag there in the presence of BJP state president Sarbananda Sonowal and all four party MPs from the state - Bijoya Chakraborty, Kabindra Purkayastha, Romen Deka and Rajen Gohain.
"During the 55 years of Congress rule at the Centre, Barak Valley has only been neglected and no concrete steps have been taken for development," Ahluwalia said.
The East-West Corridor and Silchar-Lumding BG rail line have been dragging on for the last few years without any definite time frame for completion, he alleged.
Ahluwalia reminded the people of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s wish to set up an international trade centre, as part of the Look East Policy, in the Barak valley.
The BJP leader favoured revival of the Silchar-Kolkata waterways for rapid economic development and also for the benefit of landlocked states of Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
As per the land swap deal signed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Bangladeshi counterpart Shiekh Hassina in 2011, around 235 acres of land on Latitilla-Doomabari border with Bangladesh in Karimganj district will be handed over to Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack