BJP to agitate against Indo-Bangla land swap
Guwahati: Terming the India-Bangladesh swap of enclaves was against the interest of the people of Assam, the BJP on Monday said it would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6 if the the Centre did not scrap the agreement.
"The agreement reached between India and Bangladesh for land swap and exchange of enclaves is against the interest of the people of Assam.
We demand that the central government scrap the deal," BJP`s Assam state committee spokesman Jadav Doloi told reporters here.
He said if the deal was not scrapped, the BJP would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6, the foundation day of the party.
The Constitution Amendment Bill for the land swap was cleared by the Union Cabinet last month and is likely to be tabled in the ongoing budget session of Parliament.
As per reports, 268.39 acre in Dhubri and Karimganj were to be handed over to Bangladesh as part of the deal.
Doloi said the deal would only lead to loss of land in Assam which would not gain anything in return.
"The decision to go for the land swap was taken without proper consultation with people of the state," he said.
He also blamed the state government for giving its concurrence to the deal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India