BJP to agitate against Indo-Bangla land swap
Guwahati: Terming the India-Bangladesh swap of enclaves was against the interest of the people of Assam, the BJP on Monday said it would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6 if the the Centre did not scrap the agreement.
"The agreement reached between India and Bangladesh for land swap and exchange of enclaves is against the interest of the people of Assam.
We demand that the central government scrap the deal," BJP`s Assam state committee spokesman Jadav Doloi told reporters here.
He said if the deal was not scrapped, the BJP would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6, the foundation day of the party.
The Constitution Amendment Bill for the land swap was cleared by the Union Cabinet last month and is likely to be tabled in the ongoing budget session of Parliament.
As per reports, 268.39 acre in Dhubri and Karimganj were to be handed over to Bangladesh as part of the deal.
Doloi said the deal would only lead to loss of land in Assam which would not gain anything in return.
"The decision to go for the land swap was taken without proper consultation with people of the state," he said.
He also blamed the state government for giving its concurrence to the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says