BJP to agitate against Indo-Bangla land swap
Guwahati: Terming the India-Bangladesh swap of enclaves was against the interest of the people of Assam, the BJP on Monday said it would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6 if the the Centre did not scrap the agreement.
"The agreement reached between India and Bangladesh for land swap and exchange of enclaves is against the interest of the people of Assam.
We demand that the central government scrap the deal," BJP`s Assam state committee spokesman Jadav Doloi told reporters here.
He said if the deal was not scrapped, the BJP would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6, the foundation day of the party.
The Constitution Amendment Bill for the land swap was cleared by the Union Cabinet last month and is likely to be tabled in the ongoing budget session of Parliament.
As per reports, 268.39 acre in Dhubri and Karimganj were to be handed over to Bangladesh as part of the deal.
Doloi said the deal would only lead to loss of land in Assam which would not gain anything in return.
"The decision to go for the land swap was taken without proper consultation with people of the state," he said.
He also blamed the state government for giving its concurrence to the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!