BJP to agitate against Indo-Bangla land swap
Guwahati: Terming the India-Bangladesh swap of enclaves was against the interest of the people of Assam, the BJP on Monday said it would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6 if the the Centre did not scrap the agreement.
"The agreement reached between India and Bangladesh for land swap and exchange of enclaves is against the interest of the people of Assam.
We demand that the central government scrap the deal," BJP`s Assam state committee spokesman Jadav Doloi told reporters here.
He said if the deal was not scrapped, the BJP would launch a state-wide agitation from April 6, the foundation day of the party.
The Constitution Amendment Bill for the land swap was cleared by the Union Cabinet last month and is likely to be tabled in the ongoing budget session of Parliament.
As per reports, 268.39 acre in Dhubri and Karimganj were to be handed over to Bangladesh as part of the deal.
Doloi said the deal would only lead to loss of land in Assam which would not gain anything in return.
"The decision to go for the land swap was taken without proper consultation with people of the state," he said.
He also blamed the state government for giving its concurrence to the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court