Clash at village in Assam-Meghalaya border
Shillong: Fresh tension erupted at a disputed village at the Assam-Meghalaya border when Karbi and Khasi villagers clashed with each other injuring several youths, officials said on Sunday.
The incident took place at around 7 pm last evening at Moosakhia ? Lumpyrdi locality of Khanduli area falling under West Jaintia Hills district when Khasi villagers opposed a move made by the Karbi settlers to erect electricity posts in the village without the knowledge of the local authorities, they said.
Several youths were injured in the clash and were administered first aid at a local health centre even as police and magistrate from Assam and Meghalaya had to rush to the area to diffuse tension.
Reportedly, several farm huts belonging to the Khasi villagers were burned down during the clash, they said.
District authorities from Hamren district in Assam and West Jaintia Hills district in Meghalaya have decided to maintain status quo on the erection of power posts.
Assam and Meghalaya have agreed, during the last chief secretary level talks held at Dispur to continue developmental works at the disputed areas along the inter-state border.
However, such developmental works should be undertaken only after due information was shared between respective district authorities.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 areas of difference which are often described as "disputed" along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister