Clash at village in Assam-Meghalaya border
Shillong: Fresh tension erupted at a disputed village at the Assam-Meghalaya border when Karbi and Khasi villagers clashed with each other injuring several youths, officials said on Sunday.
The incident took place at around 7 pm last evening at Moosakhia ? Lumpyrdi locality of Khanduli area falling under West Jaintia Hills district when Khasi villagers opposed a move made by the Karbi settlers to erect electricity posts in the village without the knowledge of the local authorities, they said.
Several youths were injured in the clash and were administered first aid at a local health centre even as police and magistrate from Assam and Meghalaya had to rush to the area to diffuse tension.
Reportedly, several farm huts belonging to the Khasi villagers were burned down during the clash, they said.
District authorities from Hamren district in Assam and West Jaintia Hills district in Meghalaya have decided to maintain status quo on the erection of power posts.
Assam and Meghalaya have agreed, during the last chief secretary level talks held at Dispur to continue developmental works at the disputed areas along the inter-state border.
However, such developmental works should be undertaken only after due information was shared between respective district authorities.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 areas of difference which are often described as "disputed" along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested