Clash at village in Assam-Meghalaya border
Shillong: Fresh tension erupted at a disputed village at the Assam-Meghalaya border when Karbi and Khasi villagers clashed with each other injuring several youths, officials said on Sunday.
The incident took place at around 7 pm last evening at Moosakhia ? Lumpyrdi locality of Khanduli area falling under West Jaintia Hills district when Khasi villagers opposed a move made by the Karbi settlers to erect electricity posts in the village without the knowledge of the local authorities, they said.
Several youths were injured in the clash and were administered first aid at a local health centre even as police and magistrate from Assam and Meghalaya had to rush to the area to diffuse tension.
Reportedly, several farm huts belonging to the Khasi villagers were burned down during the clash, they said.
District authorities from Hamren district in Assam and West Jaintia Hills district in Meghalaya have decided to maintain status quo on the erection of power posts.
Assam and Meghalaya have agreed, during the last chief secretary level talks held at Dispur to continue developmental works at the disputed areas along the inter-state border.
However, such developmental works should be undertaken only after due information was shared between respective district authorities.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 areas of difference which are often described as "disputed" along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!