Clash at village in Assam-Meghalaya border
Shillong: Fresh tension erupted at a disputed village at the Assam-Meghalaya border when Karbi and Khasi villagers clashed with each other injuring several youths, officials said on Sunday.
The incident took place at around 7 pm last evening at Moosakhia ? Lumpyrdi locality of Khanduli area falling under West Jaintia Hills district when Khasi villagers opposed a move made by the Karbi settlers to erect electricity posts in the village without the knowledge of the local authorities, they said.
Several youths were injured in the clash and were administered first aid at a local health centre even as police and magistrate from Assam and Meghalaya had to rush to the area to diffuse tension.
Reportedly, several farm huts belonging to the Khasi villagers were burned down during the clash, they said.
District authorities from Hamren district in Assam and West Jaintia Hills district in Meghalaya have decided to maintain status quo on the erection of power posts.
Assam and Meghalaya have agreed, during the last chief secretary level talks held at Dispur to continue developmental works at the disputed areas along the inter-state border.
However, such developmental works should be undertaken only after due information was shared between respective district authorities.
Assam and Meghalaya have 12 areas of difference which are often described as "disputed" along the interstate border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray