Close to 10 lakh marooned in Assam
Guwahati: The flood situation remained grim in Assam on Monday, with more and more areas submerged every day across 16 districts, marooning some 10 lakh people, officials said.
Sources in the Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) said a total of 1,604 villages had come under water.
The government has opened 169 relief camps for the marooned, the sources said, adding that close to 1.50 lakh people were staying in these camps.
SDMA sources confirmed that four people had died due to floods -- one in Dibrugarh and three in Tinsukia districts.
Unofficial sources, however, put the death toll at eight.
The sources said the figures might increase as many people were reported missing.
The Brahmaputra and some of its tributaries are flowing above the danger level and maintaining a rising trend.
A red alert has been sounded in Majuli Island. All educational institutions have been closed indefinitely from Tuesday due to the rise of water level.
The Indian Air Force, Army, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) are engaged in relief and rescue works.
Around 8,000 people had been rescued till Sunday evening in Tinsukia, Sonitpur and Dhemaji districts.
Air Force helicopters dropped 250 quintal of food items among the marooned at Sootea in Sonitput district and at Sadia in Tinsukia district till late Sunday.
The flood waters have damaged crops and fishery industries in various places.
A large portion of the the Dibru-Saikhowa National park, the Kaziranga National Park and the Pobitara Wildlife Sanctuary have got submerged, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’