Congress wins in Assam, Gogoi set for 3rd term
Guwahati: Congress got a comfortable majority in the Assam Assembly Elections as the party won 77 out of the total 126 seats. This means that incumbent Tarun Gogoi will be the Chief Minister for third term in a row.
The opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and BJP won in only 10 and 4 seats respectively. Others including independents won in 35 seats.
CM Gogoi retained his Titabor seat for third consecutive term defeating his nearest AGP rival by 54514 votes.
The party also won from Teok, Bokajan (ST) and Jalukbari constituencies. Membor Gogoi won from Teok for the third straight time, defeating AGP`s Hemanta Kalita by 29,899 votes.
From Bokajan (ST) seat, Kiengdoong Engti defeated independent Jagat Singh Engti by 16,809 votes, while in Jalukbari Health Minister Himanta Sarma won for the third time defeating his BJP rival by a record 77,161 votes.
Congress candidate Bharat Chandra Narah, MLA for the last 25 years, lost to AGP`s Nabakumar Toley by a margin of 5,600 from Dhakuakhana.
In a big boost for the Trinamool Congress, which romped to power in West Bengal, the party for the first time won in Assam with its candidate Dwipen Pathak from Hajo defeating former Lok Sabha MP Kirip Chaliha of Congress by 500 votes. Trinamool contested in 112 seats.
Meanwhile, former two-time chief minister and AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta lost from Samaguri where Congress’ Rockybul Hussain won.
Speaking to reporters, a smiling Gogoi said economic development helped the Congress return to power. The peace initiative with ULFA could also have been a factor that propelled votes in Gogoi’s favour.
Gogoi added that his was a clean government with no charges of corruption against any of his ministers. The CM also didn’t forget to thank party chief Sonia Gandhi for being supportive throughout.
Though the Congress appears to be in a position to form the government on its own without the support of other parties, Gogoi said its ally "BPF would continue to be a part of the government as it had helped it in difficult times".
An estimated 76 percent of Assam`s nearly 18 million voters had exercised their franchise on April 4 and 11.
In 2006, the Congress won 53 seats, the AGP 24, and the BJP and AUDF 10 each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?