Cops, protesters injured in clashes over Bodoland demand in Assam
Kokrajhar: Besides disruption of train services, four policemen and 10 protesters were injured in a clash on Monday in lower Assam`s Kokrajhar district during a `rail roko` demonstration called on by a local social-welfare outfit.
Police fired in the air to disperse hundreds of activists and supporters of the Sanmilita Janagosthio Mancha in the Fakiragram railway station who squatted on railway tracks for four hours from 8am disrupting train services, police sources said.
The blockade witnessed an unruly situation when a police team led by district Additional SP S Praneswar was prevented from entering the Fakiragram railway station, they said.
Protesters pelted stones at police who resorted to lathicharge, bursting of teargas shells and several rounds of rubber bullets in the air to disperse them, they claimed.
The blockade was called to protest against the formation of an expert committee headed by former union home secretary GK Pillai to study and examine the demand for a separate Bodoland.
Meanwhile, during a 24-hour Assam bandh called by Oboru (non Bodo) Suraksha Samity, its supporters blocked the NH-31 which was followed by a clash with police leading to blank firing by them, they said.
The bandh affected Bogoribari area of Gossaigaon subdivision in the district and pockets of neighbouring Bongaigaon district, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NEET: What does signing of ordinance really mean for medical aspirants - Know here in 3 points
- Ever heard of banana tea? Watch why it is great for your sleep!
- Five things you must know about schizophrenia!
- Govt announces 13 winners of Fast track Smart City competition; Lucknow tops list
- CBSE result 2016 Class 10 to be declared on May 27. Check www.cbse.nic.in, www.cbseresults.nic.in