Cops, protesters injured in clashes over Bodoland demand in Assam
Kokrajhar: Besides disruption of train services, four policemen and 10 protesters were injured in a clash on Monday in lower Assam`s Kokrajhar district during a `rail roko` demonstration called on by a local social-welfare outfit.
Police fired in the air to disperse hundreds of activists and supporters of the Sanmilita Janagosthio Mancha in the Fakiragram railway station who squatted on railway tracks for four hours from 8am disrupting train services, police sources said.
The blockade witnessed an unruly situation when a police team led by district Additional SP S Praneswar was prevented from entering the Fakiragram railway station, they said.
Protesters pelted stones at police who resorted to lathicharge, bursting of teargas shells and several rounds of rubber bullets in the air to disperse them, they claimed.
The blockade was called to protest against the formation of an expert committee headed by former union home secretary GK Pillai to study and examine the demand for a separate Bodoland.
Meanwhile, during a 24-hour Assam bandh called by Oboru (non Bodo) Suraksha Samity, its supporters blocked the NH-31 which was followed by a clash with police leading to blank firing by them, they said.
The bandh affected Bogoribari area of Gossaigaon subdivision in the district and pockets of neighbouring Bongaigaon district, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued