Cops, protesters injured in clashes over Bodoland demand in Assam
Kokrajhar: Besides disruption of train services, four policemen and 10 protesters were injured in a clash on Monday in lower Assam`s Kokrajhar district during a `rail roko` demonstration called on by a local social-welfare outfit.
Police fired in the air to disperse hundreds of activists and supporters of the Sanmilita Janagosthio Mancha in the Fakiragram railway station who squatted on railway tracks for four hours from 8am disrupting train services, police sources said.
The blockade witnessed an unruly situation when a police team led by district Additional SP S Praneswar was prevented from entering the Fakiragram railway station, they said.
Protesters pelted stones at police who resorted to lathicharge, bursting of teargas shells and several rounds of rubber bullets in the air to disperse them, they claimed.
The blockade was called to protest against the formation of an expert committee headed by former union home secretary GK Pillai to study and examine the demand for a separate Bodoland.
Meanwhile, during a 24-hour Assam bandh called by Oboru (non Bodo) Suraksha Samity, its supporters blocked the NH-31 which was followed by a clash with police leading to blank firing by them, they said.
The bandh affected Bogoribari area of Gossaigaon subdivision in the district and pockets of neighbouring Bongaigaon district, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Reduced oxygen can cause childhood heart disease
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks