Crime against women in Assam unusually high: NHRC
Guwahati: Cases of crime against women in Assam is the second highest in the country which is "unusually high and there is a need for introspection in this regard", National Human Rights Commission chairman Justice (retd) K G Balakrishnan said here on Tuesday.
Though the overall scenario regarding human rights in Assam "was good but there are certain areas that need improvement and they include reduction in cases related to crime against women", Balakrishnan told reporters.
"Women enjoy a good status in society in the state and it may be probably due to this that a large number of women come forward to file cases against injustices inflicted on them. But this is a matter of concern and introspection is needed in this regard", he said.-
Most cases against women are related to physical and mental harassment, rape, abduction, domestic violence, marital discordant and other forms of violence.
Moreover, a health survey conducted recently points out that both infant and maternal mortality rate is very high in the state and "there is no reason why this should be and the matter needs to be looked into", he said.
"The status of women may be good in the state but the sex ratio is considerably adverse pointing to discrimination", the NHRC chairman added.
An NHRC delegation led by Balakrishnan, on a two-day camp sitting here for speedy disposal of pending complaints, has disposed of 50 cases and passed directives to the concerned authorities to pay Rs 35 lakh as monetary relief to the victims` next of kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!