Crime against women in Assam unusually high: NHRC
Guwahati: Cases of crime against women in Assam is the second highest in the country which is "unusually high and there is a need for introspection in this regard", National Human Rights Commission chairman Justice (retd) K G Balakrishnan said here on Tuesday.
Though the overall scenario regarding human rights in Assam "was good but there are certain areas that need improvement and they include reduction in cases related to crime against women", Balakrishnan told reporters.
"Women enjoy a good status in society in the state and it may be probably due to this that a large number of women come forward to file cases against injustices inflicted on them. But this is a matter of concern and introspection is needed in this regard", he said.-
Most cases against women are related to physical and mental harassment, rape, abduction, domestic violence, marital discordant and other forms of violence.
Moreover, a health survey conducted recently points out that both infant and maternal mortality rate is very high in the state and "there is no reason why this should be and the matter needs to be looked into", he said.
"The status of women may be good in the state but the sex ratio is considerably adverse pointing to discrimination", the NHRC chairman added.
An NHRC delegation led by Balakrishnan, on a two-day camp sitting here for speedy disposal of pending complaints, has disposed of 50 cases and passed directives to the concerned authorities to pay Rs 35 lakh as monetary relief to the victims` next of kin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened