Efforts to meet expectation of people, govt : DGP
Guwahati: Immediately after taking over,
newly-appointed Assam Director General of Police Jayanta
Narayan Choudhury said on Monday he would make efforts to meet the
expectations of the government and the aspirations of the
Asked to comment on chief minister Tarun Gogoi`s
claim that Maoists were involved in anti-dam protests, the DGP
said, "while in IBI have seen agitations all over the
country. Decisions on policy isses are taken by the
government. The police has the responsibility for maintaining
law and order. The police has to ensure roads are not
Reposing confidence in his police officers, the 1978
batch IPS officer said, "I will have to reinvent myself" as
he was away from the state on central deputation in the IB
since 1985 and posted out of the state in the North East
region, Delhi and the US.
"I have been briefed by my officers on the prevailing
situation here. They told me the problem places are Dhemaji
where the anti-big dam agitation is on and the splinter
extremist issues", he said.
On the allegation of the police force being
understaffed and therefore not well behaved, the top cop said,
"step by step the manpower shortage and modernisation of the
force will be done. The civil society has to say that the
police force be given more resources".
Choudhury, who was Additional Director of Intelligence
Bureau, was appointed after his predecessor Sankar Barua`s
retirement on December 31 last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'