Five KPLT ultras including general secretary arrested in Assam
Diphu/ Guwahati: In a major joint police and Army operation in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district, five wanted militants of the Karbi Peoples Liberation Army (KPLT) including its general secretary were arrested on Thursday.
KPLT general secretary Ranam Lijung and four other militants were apprehended from Kharoping Krogaon, with a huge quantity of arms and ammunition by a team of state police and Army`s 8 Jat Regiment under the Red Horns Division, an Army spokesman said.
Acting on a tip off, the joint team launched a cordon and search operation in the thick jungles to the north of the district headquarters Diphu, the spokesman said.
The four other extremists were identified as Angplop Timung, Ramu Teron, Khor Sing Teron and Angjok Teron, district Superintendent of Police M J Mahanta told.
The recoveries include one each of a 7.62 mm Self Loading Rifle (SLR) and AK-56 rifle, three magazines, Lathod grenade launcher, .303 rifle with a magazine, three Chinese grenades, about 200 rounds of ammunition, a laptop, five mobile chargers, a solar panel and Rs 20,000 in cash, the SP said.
In May last, the Red Horn Division`s Chindits Brigade had in an encounter killed the `commander-in-chief` of the KPLT along with five ultras, the Army spokesman said.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Are you or people around you happy or sad? Twitter has the answer!
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates