Five KPLT ultras including general secretary arrested in Assam
Diphu/ Guwahati: In a major joint police and Army operation in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district, five wanted militants of the Karbi Peoples Liberation Army (KPLT) including its general secretary were arrested on Thursday.
KPLT general secretary Ranam Lijung and four other militants were apprehended from Kharoping Krogaon, with a huge quantity of arms and ammunition by a team of state police and Army`s 8 Jat Regiment under the Red Horns Division, an Army spokesman said.
Acting on a tip off, the joint team launched a cordon and search operation in the thick jungles to the north of the district headquarters Diphu, the spokesman said.
The four other extremists were identified as Angplop Timung, Ramu Teron, Khor Sing Teron and Angjok Teron, district Superintendent of Police M J Mahanta told.
The recoveries include one each of a 7.62 mm Self Loading Rifle (SLR) and AK-56 rifle, three magazines, Lathod grenade launcher, .303 rifle with a magazine, three Chinese grenades, about 200 rounds of ammunition, a laptop, five mobile chargers, a solar panel and Rs 20,000 in cash, the SP said.
In May last, the Red Horn Division`s Chindits Brigade had in an encounter killed the `commander-in-chief` of the KPLT along with five ultras, the Army spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border