Gogoi failed to punish ‘secret killers’: BJP
Guwahati: BJP Assam unit President Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday accused Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "failing" to take steps against the perpetrators of "secret killings".
"The ruling Congress has criticised the erstwhile Asom Gano Parishad (AGP) government under Prafulla Kumar Mahanta down the years for being involved in such killings, there have been so many probes but till now the culprits have not been identified which is a failure of the government, which has been in power for last three terms", Sonowal told a felicitation programme at Chabbua in upper Assam.
"They (Congress) are in power for the last three terms and now and then the chief minister charged Mahanta with being involved in secret killings. But our question is why the government has failed to convict any accused", he asked.
"Prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh is representing Assam but till now no action has been taken," he added.
On the infiltration issue, the BJP leader, a former General Secretary of the influential All Assam Students Union (AASU), alleged that Gogoi had "gifted state land to immigrants at the behest of Bangladesh President Sheikh Hasina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores