Gogoi failed to punish ‘secret killers’: BJP
Guwahati: BJP Assam unit President Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday accused Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "failing" to take steps against the perpetrators of "secret killings".
"The ruling Congress has criticised the erstwhile Asom Gano Parishad (AGP) government under Prafulla Kumar Mahanta down the years for being involved in such killings, there have been so many probes but till now the culprits have not been identified which is a failure of the government, which has been in power for last three terms", Sonowal told a felicitation programme at Chabbua in upper Assam.
"They (Congress) are in power for the last three terms and now and then the chief minister charged Mahanta with being involved in secret killings. But our question is why the government has failed to convict any accused", he asked.
"Prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh is representing Assam but till now no action has been taken," he added.
On the infiltration issue, the BJP leader, a former General Secretary of the influential All Assam Students Union (AASU), alleged that Gogoi had "gifted state land to immigrants at the behest of Bangladesh President Sheikh Hasina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?