Gogoi failed to punish ‘secret killers’: BJP
Guwahati: BJP Assam unit President Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday accused Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "failing" to take steps against the perpetrators of "secret killings".
"The ruling Congress has criticised the erstwhile Asom Gano Parishad (AGP) government under Prafulla Kumar Mahanta down the years for being involved in such killings, there have been so many probes but till now the culprits have not been identified which is a failure of the government, which has been in power for last three terms", Sonowal told a felicitation programme at Chabbua in upper Assam.
"They (Congress) are in power for the last three terms and now and then the chief minister charged Mahanta with being involved in secret killings. But our question is why the government has failed to convict any accused", he asked.
"Prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh is representing Assam but till now no action has been taken," he added.
On the infiltration issue, the BJP leader, a former General Secretary of the influential All Assam Students Union (AASU), alleged that Gogoi had "gifted state land to immigrants at the behest of Bangladesh President Sheikh Hasina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster