Gogoi requests Manjhi for free treatment of Rajdhani victims
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday requested his Bihar counterpart Jitan Ram Manjhi to provide free medical treatment to injured passengers of the Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express that derailed in Bihar.
He also urged the central government to increase the ex-gratia from Rs.2 lakh to Rs.5 lakh for the families of the five passengers who were killed in the accident.
At least five people were killed and 13 injured when all 12 coaches and the engine of the train derailed early Wednesday.
Gogoi made the request during a telephonic conversation with Manjhi Wednesday morning, officials said.
Besides, Gogoi directed Deputy Inspector General of Police (Western Range) Surendra Kumar to immediately visit the accident site in Bihar and oversee relief operations.
The Northeast Frontier Railway diverted at least six trains in view of the derailment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!