Normalcy returns in Assam’s Kokrajhar district
Kokrajhar: Life in Assam’s Kokrajhar District is returning to normal, amid heavy security.
The Centre had deployed ten additional companies of paramilitary forces, and five columns of the Army to maintain law and order.
Ten people, including a child were killed in the recent violence which erupted nearly after a three-month let-up.
In July, the clashes between the local Bodo and Muslim settlers killed 99 people and five lakh were displaced from their homes.
“There are some unfortunate incidents in the violence which took place in Kokrajhar and other places in Assam but both the state and central government are trying hard their best to bring peace and normalcy. Even now we are living together and in the future as well we should live together,” said Papan Singh Ghatowar, Minister for the Department of the North East Region (DoNER).
“With the deployment of forces and the clear mandate that we have been given by the state government, I think we should be able to prevent violence. Isolated incidents have happened. We will try to make sure that does not happen, but the same kind of violence that took place before, will not happen,” said Jayanta Narayan Choudhury, Director General of Police, Assam.
On November 17, police arrested an executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC), Manu Kumar Brahma, for possessing illegal arms. Two AK 47 rifles, two grenades and 60 rounds of bullets were recovered from his residence.
Police has started a crackdown on those possessing illegal arms across the district and have withdrawn security for the 12 elected members of the BTC.
Prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh called Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and assured of all help to maintain peace in the region.
The Center has already allotted Rs. 300 crore for the rehabilitation of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video