Ramesh asks Centre to declare Tinsukia, Dibrugarh as Maoists-affected districts
Guwahati: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh has asked the Centre to declare upper Assam districts of Tinsukia and Dibrugarh as Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected areas.
Ramesh told media here that as per intelligence, there is evidence about the presence of Maoist activities in Tinsukia and Dibrugarh and he has suggested the Prime Minister after his visit to declare the two as LWE affected districts.
"The Prime Minister has reacted positively. And we are now expecting the Planning Commission to make a formal announcement very soon. Special Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGYS) norms would be extended to Tinsukia and Dibrugarh," Ramesh said.
He said the Maoists and the militant-outfit ULFA (United Liberation Front of Assam) had capitalised on the poor infrastructure in these regions to set up their sanctuaries, particularly in Tinsukia.
"I think the remoteness of Tinsukia, particularly Sadia block, and the poor infrastructure, particularly roads and bridges have allowed both Maoists and the ULFA cadres to set up sanctuaries," added Ramesh.
Maoists have already increased their presence significantly in tribal and rural regions of Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal and Odisha.
The Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of millions of landless people and marginal farmers. However, the government has termed them as India`s main internal security threat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!