Protest over Assam’s Goalpara violence
Guwahati: A number of non-political organisations and student outfits held a protest in the city on Sunday against Goalpara violence earlier this week.
Led by the All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and the All Assam Tribal Sangha, the protesters belonging to 26 organisations staged a dharna outside the Raj Bhavan here with their mouths tied with black cloth.
AASU Advisor Samujjal Bhattacharjya accused Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "sacrificing the interest of indigenous people" and being partial to illegal immigrants.
"The Chief Minister, who is also in charge of the Home and Political Affairs departments, could have clearly avoided this situation. The police opened fire on innocent people, including women," he claimed.
Supporting the stand of the Rabha Hasong community, he said: "The problems faced by the Rabha community are also problems for the whole of Assam".
Assam Tribal Sangha general secretary Aditya Khakhlari alleged that the state government has taken no action against illegal immigrants who have tried to usurp the rights of genuine Indian citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief