Protest over Assam’s Goalpara violence
Guwahati: A number of non-political organisations and student outfits held a protest in the city on Sunday against Goalpara violence earlier this week.
Led by the All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and the All Assam Tribal Sangha, the protesters belonging to 26 organisations staged a dharna outside the Raj Bhavan here with their mouths tied with black cloth.
AASU Advisor Samujjal Bhattacharjya accused Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "sacrificing the interest of indigenous people" and being partial to illegal immigrants.
"The Chief Minister, who is also in charge of the Home and Political Affairs departments, could have clearly avoided this situation. The police opened fire on innocent people, including women," he claimed.
Supporting the stand of the Rabha Hasong community, he said: "The problems faced by the Rabha community are also problems for the whole of Assam".
Assam Tribal Sangha general secretary Aditya Khakhlari alleged that the state government has taken no action against illegal immigrants who have tried to usurp the rights of genuine Indian citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader