Protests over Bodoland, ethnic groups block roads in Assam
Kokrajhar: Ethnic groups in Assam blocked major roads on Sunday hindering transport, to press their demand for separate state of Bodoland after the Government gave nod for the creation of new state of Telangana.
A group of locals in Kokrajhar district took to the arterial roads and shouted slogans in middle of the road, blocking the highway and hindering transport.
Earlier on August 2, All Bodo Students` Union (ABSU) announced a 12-hour rail blockade in Kokrajhar district, pressing their demand for Bodoland.
According to reports, All Bodo Student`s Union (ABSU) along with prominent Bodo organisations, including NDFB (Progressive), All Bodo Womens`` Federation (ABWF), Bodo Sahitya Sabha (BSS), Bodo Peoples` Progressive Front (BPPF) and others squatted on railway tracks with placards at Kokrajhar railway station with no trains either entering or leaving Kokrajhar. Bodos also said that the indigenous people of Assam were being deprived of their rights and they wanted to live with dignity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!