Thousands take part in Meghalaya pilgrimage
Umiam: Thousands of people climbed the sacred U Lum Sohpetbneng mountain here Sunday as part of an indigenous tribal pilgrimage to the "navel of heaven".
U Lum Sohpetbneng, popularly known as "umbilical heavenly peak", is situated by the scenic Umiam Lake (Barapani), 17 km north of state capital Shillong.
Thousands of Khasi-Jaintia tribesmen make this annual pilgrimage to the top the 1,344-metre peak to offer their obeisance to god.
"It is a firm and deep rooted belief of the people, Ri Hynniewtrep (the Seven Huts people, inhabiting the West Khasi Hills, East Khasi Hills, Ri-Bhoi and Jaintia Hills districts in eastern Meghalaya) descended to earth from a golden bridge atop the sacred U Lum Sohpetbneng," said Sumar Sing Sawian, one of the Seng Khasi elders.
The sub-tribes of the Hynniewtrep race - U Khynriam, U Pnar, U Bhoi, U War, Maram, Lyngngam and the now-extinct Diko of Meghalaya - are collectively known as Ki Hynniewtrep, which literally means `Seven Huts` referring to the seven families which were the first settlers on earth, according to a tribal legend.
The annual obeisance is accompanied by traditional rituals and rites, dances and songs. Rice grain and water are distributed on the occasion to gain spiritual contentment and good health.
U Lum Sohpetbneng is shrouded in an aura of sacredness and sanctity, being the repository of ancient wisdom and values of the Hynniewtrep.
"According to ancient Khasi faith, you can approach god only with a golden heart full of virtue and humility. God is like a mother with whom her children are linked through the umbilical cord," said Kynpham Sing Nongkynrih, poet and author of several books on the Khasis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon