Two killed as fresh violence hits Assam
Guwahati: Two persons, including a CRPF man, were killed on Saturday night as an explosion hit Guwahati and a communal clash erupted in Assam`s Dhubri town where indefinite curfew was clamped.
Unidentified persons set off an IED targeting CRPF personnel near the Assam State Transport Corporation ticket counter adjacent to the Paltan Bazar police station in Guwahati at 7:45 pm, police sources said.
Kamrup (Metro) District Deputy Commissioner Ashutosh Agnihotry said, a CRPF man, Bhawani Singh, was injured in the blast and died on the way to hospital, while nine others, including two CRPF personnel, were wounded.
Earlier reports said that a grenade was hurled.
The injured were immediately rushed to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Agnihotry said.
He said that there were intelligence reports that militants might attempt to attack security forces.
In Dhubri town`s Indira Gandhi Road area, a petrol bomb was hurled at a house and stones pelted on six other houses at around 7:00 PM, police sources said.
The police fired in the air after two communities clashed leading to injuries to three persons, of whom one died, the sources said.
The district administration clamped indefinite curfew in the town, they added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case