Two killed as fresh violence hits Assam
Guwahati: Two persons, including a CRPF man, were killed on Saturday night as an explosion hit Guwahati and a communal clash erupted in Assam`s Dhubri town where indefinite curfew was clamped.
Unidentified persons set off an IED targeting CRPF personnel near the Assam State Transport Corporation ticket counter adjacent to the Paltan Bazar police station in Guwahati at 7:45 pm, police sources said.
Kamrup (Metro) District Deputy Commissioner Ashutosh Agnihotry said, a CRPF man, Bhawani Singh, was injured in the blast and died on the way to hospital, while nine others, including two CRPF personnel, were wounded.
Earlier reports said that a grenade was hurled.
The injured were immediately rushed to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Agnihotry said.
He said that there were intelligence reports that militants might attempt to attack security forces.
In Dhubri town`s Indira Gandhi Road area, a petrol bomb was hurled at a house and stones pelted on six other houses at around 7:00 PM, police sources said.
The police fired in the air after two communities clashed leading to injuries to three persons, of whom one died, the sources said.
The district administration clamped indefinite curfew in the town, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu