Two killed as fresh violence hits Assam
Guwahati: Two persons, including a CRPF man, were killed on Saturday night as an explosion hit Guwahati and a communal clash erupted in Assam`s Dhubri town where indefinite curfew was clamped.
Unidentified persons set off an IED targeting CRPF personnel near the Assam State Transport Corporation ticket counter adjacent to the Paltan Bazar police station in Guwahati at 7:45 pm, police sources said.
Kamrup (Metro) District Deputy Commissioner Ashutosh Agnihotry said, a CRPF man, Bhawani Singh, was injured in the blast and died on the way to hospital, while nine others, including two CRPF personnel, were wounded.
Earlier reports said that a grenade was hurled.
The injured were immediately rushed to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital, Agnihotry said.
He said that there were intelligence reports that militants might attempt to attack security forces.
In Dhubri town`s Indira Gandhi Road area, a petrol bomb was hurled at a house and stones pelted on six other houses at around 7:00 PM, police sources said.
The police fired in the air after two communities clashed leading to injuries to three persons, of whom one died, the sources said.
The district administration clamped indefinite curfew in the town, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman