Will find out reasons behind Assam clashes: PM
New Delhi: Terming the violence in Assam as "very unfortunate", Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday promised to make every effort to find out reasons behind the clashes in which at least 77 people have lost their lives.
In his address to the nation on the occasion of Independence Day, he said the government was doing "everything possible" to provide relief to the people affected by the violence.
"The incidents of violence which occurred in Assam recently are very unfortunate. I know that these incidents have resulted in the disruption of the lives of a large number of people. We fully sympathise with those families which have been affected by the violence," Singh said.
The Prime Minister said the Centre would work with the state governments to ensure that such incidents do not occur in any parts of the country.
"We are doing everything possible to provide relief to them. I also promise to you that our government will make every effort to understand the reasons behind the violence and work hard with the state governments to ensure that such incidents are not repeated in any part of the country," he said.
The recent clashes between Bodos and Muslims have left at least 77 people dead and more than four lakh people homeless in the lower Assam districts.
Almost 400 villages, in the districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa have been affected in the violence which first broke out on July 20. Over two lakh people are currently taking shelters in 340 relief camps.
On overall situation in the North East, Singh said there has been reduction in violence in the region as the Centre has engaged a number of groups in talks.
"There has been a reduction in violence in the North Eastern States and we are engaged in dialogue with many groups there so that they can join the mainstream of development," he said.
The Centre has been holding talks with major insurgent outfits like NSCN(IM), pro-talks faction of ULFA and NDFB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested