Will find out reasons behind Assam clashes: PM
New Delhi: Terming the violence in Assam as "very unfortunate", Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday promised to make every effort to find out reasons behind the clashes in which at least 77 people have lost their lives.
In his address to the nation on the occasion of Independence Day, he said the government was doing "everything possible" to provide relief to the people affected by the violence.
"The incidents of violence which occurred in Assam recently are very unfortunate. I know that these incidents have resulted in the disruption of the lives of a large number of people. We fully sympathise with those families which have been affected by the violence," Singh said.
The Prime Minister said the Centre would work with the state governments to ensure that such incidents do not occur in any parts of the country.
"We are doing everything possible to provide relief to them. I also promise to you that our government will make every effort to understand the reasons behind the violence and work hard with the state governments to ensure that such incidents are not repeated in any part of the country," he said.
The recent clashes between Bodos and Muslims have left at least 77 people dead and more than four lakh people homeless in the lower Assam districts.
Almost 400 villages, in the districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Dhubri and Baksa have been affected in the violence which first broke out on July 20. Over two lakh people are currently taking shelters in 340 relief camps.
On overall situation in the North East, Singh said there has been reduction in violence in the region as the Centre has engaged a number of groups in talks.
"There has been a reduction in violence in the North Eastern States and we are engaged in dialogue with many groups there so that they can join the mainstream of development," he said.
The Centre has been holding talks with major insurgent outfits like NSCN(IM), pro-talks faction of ULFA and NDFB.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video