Will probe `foreign hand` in Assam violence: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has said that a probe will be instituted to find out facts regarding alleged involvement of foreign hands in the recent Assam violence.
"From the beginning I have stated that some foreign hands are involved. It is not merely a clash between Bodos and minorities. The Union Home ministry report that Pakistani elements were involved has vindicated our stand," Gogoi said.
"We will institute a probe to find out details regarding the involvement of foreign elements in the violence," he added.
Meanwhile, in stray incidents of violence one person was injured in Dhubri district and a few houses were torched in Chirang district last night, even as curfew was relaxed for 12 hours in Rangiya subdivision of Kamrup Rural district.
Police said a person belonging to the minority community was injured at Chilkikhata, under Bilasipara police station, late last evening after a group of miscreants attacked him with arrows.
The condition of the injured is stated to be critical and he has been shifted to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital.
In another incident, unidentified miscreants set ablaze three houses at Khunkrajora under Bijni police station in Chirang last night.
Additional forces have been deployed in the area. The Army is also conducting flag marches at various places.
Curfew in Rangiya was relaxed from 7 am to 7 pm today.
Shops and markets were open in Rangiya town even as security forces continued to maintain strict vigil.
"We are constantly monitoring the situation. There have been no reports of any fresh incidents in the past few hours," Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said.
Meanwhile, one more special train reached Guwahati this morning from Bangalore carrying around 800 passengers.
erday and another arrived here at around 8 am this morning," Northeast Frontier Railway PRO Nripen Bhattacharya said.
The violence in the lower Assam districts, which started on July 19-20, have so far claimed 78 lives and displaced over four lakh people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi