Cong likely to win six assembly seats unopposed in Arunachal
Itanagar: Six Congress candidates are likely to win unopposed in the April-9 Assembly elections in Arunachal Pradesh if their nomination papers are found valid during scrutiny on Monday.
The candidates are Tourism Minister Pema Khandu (Mukto), Rural Development Minister Tanga Byaling (Nacho), Punji Mara (Taliha), Bamang Felix (Nyapin), Mama Natung (Seppa West) and Takam Pario (Palin).
The chances of more Congress candidates winning unopposed are not ruled out as negotiations are going on with nominees of other parties to withdraw their candidature in several seats before the last date of withdrawal on March 26, Congress sources said.
Congress has a legacy of winning seats uncontested in the state in several elections with former Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu setting a record consecutive two-time win unopposed from Mukto constituency in Tawang district during 2004 and 2009 assembly polls.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki won uncontested in 2004 from Sagalee constituency.
In the 2009 assembly elections in the state, Congress won 42 seats while first timer Trinamool Congress and NCP won five seats each, followed by Peoples` Party of Arunachal (PPA) 4, BJP 3 and one Independent.
However, the strength of the Congress rose to 55 later when all the Trinamool and NCP members along with three MLAs of the PPA joined the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!