35 school children fall ill after consuming contaminated mid-day meal
Jehanabad (Bihar): At least 35 school children were taken ill after having contaminated food under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) scheme in a school in Tilkai village in Bihar`s Jehanabad district on Thursday, an official said.
The school children complained of stomach cramps and started vomiting soon after having food which comprised of rice, pulse and vegetables in the Tilkai secondary school and were taken to the referral hospital at Makhdumpur, the District Education Officer (DEO) Gayasuddin said.
As the news about children`s illness spread, anxious parents rushed to the school and held the Principal and the Block Education Officer (BEO) hostage, Gayasuddin said.
The Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Ramniranjan Singh and other local officials rushed to the spot and rescued the Principal and the BEO.
The ailing children have since recovered and a probe ordered into the matter.
Security has been beefed at the school and referral hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?