35 school children fall ill after consuming contaminated mid-day meal
Jehanabad (Bihar): At least 35 school children were taken ill after having contaminated food under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) scheme in a school in Tilkai village in Bihar`s Jehanabad district on Thursday, an official said.
The school children complained of stomach cramps and started vomiting soon after having food which comprised of rice, pulse and vegetables in the Tilkai secondary school and were taken to the referral hospital at Makhdumpur, the District Education Officer (DEO) Gayasuddin said.
As the news about children`s illness spread, anxious parents rushed to the school and held the Principal and the Block Education Officer (BEO) hostage, Gayasuddin said.
The Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Ramniranjan Singh and other local officials rushed to the spot and rescued the Principal and the BEO.
The ailing children have since recovered and a probe ordered into the matter.
Security has been beefed at the school and referral hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez