35 school children fall ill after consuming contaminated mid-day meal
Jehanabad (Bihar): At least 35 school children were taken ill after having contaminated food under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) scheme in a school in Tilkai village in Bihar`s Jehanabad district on Thursday, an official said.
The school children complained of stomach cramps and started vomiting soon after having food which comprised of rice, pulse and vegetables in the Tilkai secondary school and were taken to the referral hospital at Makhdumpur, the District Education Officer (DEO) Gayasuddin said.
As the news about children`s illness spread, anxious parents rushed to the school and held the Principal and the Block Education Officer (BEO) hostage, Gayasuddin said.
The Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Ramniranjan Singh and other local officials rushed to the spot and rescued the Principal and the BEO.
The ailing children have since recovered and a probe ordered into the matter.
Security has been beefed at the school and referral hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'