35 school children fall ill after consuming contaminated mid-day meal
Jehanabad (Bihar): At least 35 school children were taken ill after having contaminated food under the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) scheme in a school in Tilkai village in Bihar`s Jehanabad district on Thursday, an official said.
The school children complained of stomach cramps and started vomiting soon after having food which comprised of rice, pulse and vegetables in the Tilkai secondary school and were taken to the referral hospital at Makhdumpur, the District Education Officer (DEO) Gayasuddin said.
As the news about children`s illness spread, anxious parents rushed to the school and held the Principal and the Block Education Officer (BEO) hostage, Gayasuddin said.
The Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Ramniranjan Singh and other local officials rushed to the spot and rescued the Principal and the BEO.
The ailing children have since recovered and a probe ordered into the matter.
Security has been beefed at the school and referral hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’