Abductors demand Rs 20 lakh to free Bihar student
Patna: Abductors of an engineering student from Bihar have demanded a ransom of Rs 20 lakhs to release him even as search operations have been intensified in the case, a police officer said here Saturday.
Ravi Kumar, a third year civil engineering student at the National Institute of Technology in Patna, was kidnapped June 23 from near his rented house here.
"Abductors called Ravi`s family demanding a ransom of Rs 20 lakh for the student`s safe release," the police officer said.
Search operations have been intensified and a suspect arrested in the case is being interrogated, he added.
"We have received two ransom calls in the last four days. Senior police officials were also present during the second call," a relative of the student told a news agency over phone from Saharsa, around 240 km from here.
The kidnappers used Ravi`s mobile phone to make the calls, police said.
"I am not happy with police investigation. They are clueless about my son," said Ravi`s father Ramesh Razak, principal of a school in Madhepura district.
The abductors have threatened to kill Ravi if the ransom was not paid soon, Razak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE