Bihar boat tragedy toll rises to 36
Buxar: Fourteen more bodies were fished out Monday from the river Ganga, taking the toll in the boat mishap to 36, even as a search was on to trace six other
Director General of Police Neelmani told in Patna
that a National Disaster Response Force team and local divers
fished out 14 more bodies from the river early this morning.
Twenty-five women and children were among those whose
bodies have been recovered so far, he said.
Intensive search continued with the help of local divers
and NDRF personnel for locating the remaining six missing
persons who were feared to have drowned.
An estimated 42 people were sailing in the boat from
adjoining Balia in UP to Dalupur in Bihar when it got caught
in a whirlpool and sank in Brahmapur police station area here.
Official sources said the dependants of each of the
deceased would be given a compensation of Rs 1.5 lakh in
keeping with the rules framed by the state government.
The bodies would be handed over to relatives after
autopsy on the spot, sources said.
The district authorities have given Rs 10,000 to each of
the bereaved families.
The District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police are
camping on the spot to oversee rescue operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?