Bihar flood toll rises to 170
Patna: The toll in devastating floods which left hundreds of thousands homeless in Bihar rose to 170 on Wednesday, said an official.
More than 5.5 million people have been affected by floods in 20 districts of the state.
Swirling Ganga continued to play havoc in nearly a dozen districts, including Bhagalgur, Kharagpur and Begusarai, putting pressure on embankments that pose serious threat to several small towns and hundreds of villages.
Fresh areas have been inundated since Tuesday in these districts, an official said.
State Water Resources Development Minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary told media persons here that for the first time in the last decade, the Ganga has risen beyond its previous record levels.
But, he quickly added that all river embankments were safe and there was no need to panic.
Arun Kumar, an official of Water Resources Development, said that flood situation would improve by Thursday as all the major rivers are showing signs of receding.
Officials said standing crops, including bananas, worth crores of rupees have been destroyed and road communication at several places has snapped.
"Rising rivers have badly hit paddy cultivation and destroyed standing banana and maize crops in Vaishali, Khagaria, Bhagalpur and other districts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan