Bihar initiates action to recover `ghost payment`
Patna: Alarmed by detection of around 20 lakh "duplicate" job cards in the MGNREGA scheme, the Bihar government on Wednesday said it has launched a special drive to verify cards issued to 1.27 crore beneficiaries to recover "ghost payments" made.
"During uploading of data on management information system it came to light that nearly 20 lakh job cards have been issued with different numbers and names but same name of head of the family," Rural Development Minister Nitish Mishra told state Assembly in reply to a short notice question of BJP Sanjay Saragwi.
The minister said large number of "duplicate" job cards have been detected in Muzaffarpur (97,197), Samastipur (87,934), Patna (72,058), Purnea (60,631) and Gaya (51,147).
The minister said that it has to come to light that out of 1.27 crore job cards issued, nearly 40-45 lakh were operational. "In view of this discrepancy, a comprehensive verification process of job cards has been under process," Mishra said.
He said the verification exercise would be completed by May end this year.
The Rural Development minister said verification of cards included perusing through statement of job details of payment made by post offices to beneficiaries.
He said from June this year payment against MGNREGA work would be made through bank account.
Mishra said a sum of Rs 70 lakh "ghost payment" has been recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown