Bihar liquor tragedy toll rises to 26
Patna: The death toll in a hooch tragedy in Bihar has risen to 26 with eight more people losing their lives, police said on Sunday.
"Eight more people have died since Saturday after consuming spurious liquor," a police official said.
The tragedy occurred Thursday night in Anitha village in Bhojpur district, some 60 km from here, where villagers complained of stomach pain and threw up after consuming locally made liquor.
Nine people, including four woman, died Thursday, three Friday and six Saturday, police said.
Bhojpur Superintendent of Police MR Nayak said over two dozen people had been arrested in this connection. "More arrests are likely," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S Verma said a six-member committee had been set up to probe the incident.
The deaths sparked widespread protests in Bhojpur. Hundreds of students blocked roads Sunday while BJP legislator Amrendra Pratap blamed the state government for the incident.
Rashtriya Janata Dal leaders said the government`s policy to promote sale of country liquor was responsible for the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price