Bihar liquor tragedy toll rises to 26
Patna: The death toll in a hooch tragedy in Bihar has risen to 26 with eight more people losing their lives, police said on Sunday.
"Eight more people have died since Saturday after consuming spurious liquor," a police official said.
The tragedy occurred Thursday night in Anitha village in Bhojpur district, some 60 km from here, where villagers complained of stomach pain and threw up after consuming locally made liquor.
Nine people, including four woman, died Thursday, three Friday and six Saturday, police said.
Bhojpur Superintendent of Police MR Nayak said over two dozen people had been arrested in this connection. "More arrests are likely," he said.
District Magistrate Pratima S Verma said a six-member committee had been set up to probe the incident.
The deaths sparked widespread protests in Bhojpur. Hundreds of students blocked roads Sunday while BJP legislator Amrendra Pratap blamed the state government for the incident.
Rashtriya Janata Dal leaders said the government`s policy to promote sale of country liquor was responsible for the deaths.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?