Bihar mid-day meal tragedy: Accused surrenders in court
Chhapra: Arjun Rai, an accused in the mid-day meal tragedy case that claimed lives of 23 children in Bihar`s Saran district two months ago, surrendered on Monday in a local court.
Rai, the husband of the school principal and main accused Meena Devi, surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate AK Jha.
The judge remanded Rai to 14 days judicial custody in the divisional jail.
Twenty three children died after consuming contaminated mid-day meal in the primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village under Mashrakh block on July 16.
During the investigation, it was revealed that the spurious edible oil used to cook vegetables had been brought from the principal house and the same was purchased from grocery shop of the principal`s husband.
The principal surrendered before a court on July 24 after being at large for a week, but her husband continued to elude the police which obtained warrant from a court for confiscation of Rai`s properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145