Bihar mid-day meal tragedy: Accused surrenders in court
Chhapra: Arjun Rai, an accused in the mid-day meal tragedy case that claimed lives of 23 children in Bihar`s Saran district two months ago, surrendered on Monday in a local court.
Rai, the husband of the school principal and main accused Meena Devi, surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate AK Jha.
The judge remanded Rai to 14 days judicial custody in the divisional jail.
Twenty three children died after consuming contaminated mid-day meal in the primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village under Mashrakh block on July 16.
During the investigation, it was revealed that the spurious edible oil used to cook vegetables had been brought from the principal house and the same was purchased from grocery shop of the principal`s husband.
The principal surrendered before a court on July 24 after being at large for a week, but her husband continued to elude the police which obtained warrant from a court for confiscation of Rai`s properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands