Bihar mid-day meal tragedy: Accused surrenders in court
Chhapra: Arjun Rai, an accused in the mid-day meal tragedy case that claimed lives of 23 children in Bihar`s Saran district two months ago, surrendered on Monday in a local court.
Rai, the husband of the school principal and main accused Meena Devi, surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate AK Jha.
The judge remanded Rai to 14 days judicial custody in the divisional jail.
Twenty three children died after consuming contaminated mid-day meal in the primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village under Mashrakh block on July 16.
During the investigation, it was revealed that the spurious edible oil used to cook vegetables had been brought from the principal house and the same was purchased from grocery shop of the principal`s husband.
The principal surrendered before a court on July 24 after being at large for a week, but her husband continued to elude the police which obtained warrant from a court for confiscation of Rai`s properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan