Bihar mid-day meal tragedy: Accused surrenders in court
Chhapra: Arjun Rai, an accused in the mid-day meal tragedy case that claimed lives of 23 children in Bihar`s Saran district two months ago, surrendered on Monday in a local court.
Rai, the husband of the school principal and main accused Meena Devi, surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate AK Jha.
The judge remanded Rai to 14 days judicial custody in the divisional jail.
Twenty three children died after consuming contaminated mid-day meal in the primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village under Mashrakh block on July 16.
During the investigation, it was revealed that the spurious edible oil used to cook vegetables had been brought from the principal house and the same was purchased from grocery shop of the principal`s husband.
The principal surrendered before a court on July 24 after being at large for a week, but her husband continued to elude the police which obtained warrant from a court for confiscation of Rai`s properties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred