Bihar`s growth story to continue: Modi
Patna: Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil
Kumar Modi on Sunday said that the state`s economic growth story would
continue and the fruits of development would reach out to the
people in less period of time than envisioned.
The state government was not only working overtime to
ensure high growth rate over a long period of time, but also
to ensure that the development indeed translates into
prosperity of the people, he said at the valedictory function
of the three-day Global Summit on Changing Bihar.
Modi`s statement was an apparent rejoinder to some
economists who had questioned the double digit growth rate in
Bihar on the ground that the poverty rate in the state
remained high and the benefits of development have not helped
raise per capita income of the people.
Modi said corruption has been a major challenge to the
delivery system, particularly in the backward states, but the
state government has taken measures like mandatory annual
declaration of assets by officers of Class I to III as well by
the Chief Minister and the ministers.
The information have been uploaded on the website of
the state government for perusal by the people and these
public servants were required to submit update of their wealth
annually, he said.
The state government has enacted a `strong` Lokayukta
Act and set up the Special Courts Act to deal with corrupt
public servants, he said adding that other states have taken
lead from Bihar to crackdown against corruption.
The ill-gotten wealth of senior officials have been
confiscated and put to public use, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown