Bihar’s overall growth rate 16.71%: Modi
Patna: Bihar has recorded overall growth rate of 16.71 per cent during 2011-2012, the highest in the past five years, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi said on Tuesday.
Modi, who also holds the finance portfolio, said the state has created a record in foodgrains production during the year which is the highest since Independence.
Bihar produced 166.69 lakh mt of foodgrains during 2011-2012 compared to 103.47 lakh mt last year, he said quoting latest figures which were made available in June.
The 2011-12 agriculture production marked a growth rate of 17.16 per cent, which was considerably higher than in the previous years, Modi said.
The growth rate had been as low as 0 per cent from 1992-95 which rose to 3.8 per cent from 1995-1996 till 2001-02. "Despite the ups and downs in the previous years the NDA government has tried to stabilise it and now we have plans to achieve a growth rate at 13 per cent during 12th five year plan," he said adding the state government was working in this direction.
He said earlier there was misconception about Bihar`s growth rate as it was believed it was based only on construction and communication. "It has now been established that the increase of growth rate has been because of record production of foodgrains."
"We have worked out an agriculture road map for the next five years on which the state government proposes to spend more than Rs 150 lakh crore to boost agriculture production, storage, animal resources, dairy, poultry and other allied activities," Modi said adding it would boost the income of the people of the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know